As we all know that Matt Cutts tries his best by picking random question of users from support forums, and answers with videos to help wide range of audiences seeking answers for same type of problems. You can also see various videos of Matt Cutts at You Tube Google Webmaster Channel. We have tried to compile all the answers in simple text format related to 301, hope these will help you:
- What percentage of PageRank is lost through a 301 redirect?
Loss of PageRank from 301 redirects is same as a link. So it means percentage of PageRank that dissipates through a 301 is currently identical to that dissipates through a link.
- What are the advantages of 301 redirects over rel=”canonical”?
301 is a direct instruction for redirecting pages through .htaccess file or webmaster tools while rel canonical is just a strong hint to avoid duplicate contents.
- How will Google interpret links to URLs ending with a campaign tag?
Google usually detects they’re irrelevant, but 301, canonical tag or Webmaster Tools can help
- How can I get Googlebot to notice a 301 redirect?
301 is one which is automatically noticed by Google, So let Googlebot find it in its own time
- Is there an advantage to using rel=”canonical” over a 301 redirect?
Matt advice to use 301s in general as its most useful and used.
- Can too many redirects from a single URL have a negative effect on crawling?
One or two is fine, any more than five and Googlebot will probably not follow. Avoid mixing 301 and 302s as well
- How do I change domain?
That’s the big decision to make, so you can test first with a subpage and 301 it. Then start with the smallest parts of your site and move it gradually
- Is their limit to how many 301’s I can use.
Have as many as you like, but Matt says that you don’t chain more than five
- What is the benefit of using the change of address tool in Google Webmaster Tools?
It notifies Google quicker than just 301’s, but do both
- What’s your take on “addon domains”?
Matt advices not to make too many small sites and advice to do 301 to main site if you have them. Don’t make multiple sites
- How can I merge two sites?
301 redirect each webpage to the new webpage. For correcting back links profile, contact any good links you may have asking them to update their link
- Does anchor text carry through 301 redirects?
As per Matt, Anchor text transfer value to 301 redirect sites and say typically yes